Here is the feedback I’ve gathered so far on my proposal:
In terms on the planning tasks, some of the very first tasks that I completed were the response to the brief and the proposal. I think it was really important that I completed these tasks as soon as possible as they allowed me to lay out any of the first and initial ideas that I had regarding my music video. I especially found both of these tasks helpful because I needed to justify all of my decisions and choices that I had at that time and so having to provide reasoning for everything I had done up until this point was really useful when looking at all of my initial ideas. Additionally to this I had to create a blog post detailing my inspirations, explaining exactly where I had got all of these ideas from; in this instance being from various other successful music video, produced by existing labels.
After I had completed these tasks which outlined my very first ideas and creative outlook, I needed to actually start creating an image for how I was going to go about filming my music video. Due to this I also had to create a variety of other posts, which are listed below:
- Contact with the artist
- Prop list
- Artist mise-en-scene
- Location mise-en-scene
- Risk assessment
- Chosen location
As well as the blog posts above and below, I’ve also created various others in between. Some that I particularly struggled with was the digi-pak sketches and the advert sketches. I think that the main reason I struggled with these posts in particular is because the required me to know exactly what I wanted my advert and digipak to look like, I needed to have a solid idea which is something that kept changing so I think that’s why I found it much more difficult than a lot of the other posts.
The very few final tasks that I completed are the ones shown below; the shooting schedule, brand guidelines and personal. I quite enjoyed creating these posts as it made it seem as though my music video was coming together, as well as seeing the progress I was making in Premiere, I could also see when exactly I was shooting and I managed to get a wider outlook on the types of font and colours I would use not only for my advert but also my digi pack.
To conclude, I think that completing all of the required planning tasks has allowed me to gain a much wider perspective with regards to my whole music video as I’ve been able to see what people think about it. Gaining a variety of different opinions and constructive criticism has enabled me to be able to improve and add me to the video itself. I’ve found the vast majority of the planning tasks incredibly helpful as they have helped me to develop my understanding of what is needed and what I have actually accomplished.
The props needed for the shooting of my music video are fairly minimal as I won’t need or use any for added drama or intensity. The few ‘props’ that I will use for my music video are very basic as listed below:
Black Clothing: this is what I have asked all of my performers to wear as the setting is black and I think that they’re black clothing further represents the sadness and resentment that I’m hoping the performance will broadcast.
Lighting: whilst this may not necessarily be a featured prop, lighting is incredibly important for the shooting of my music video. I will need a back, fill and key light in every single shoot I film in the black box theatre in order to create a darkened and mysterious effect on all of my performers.
Phone: I haven’t filmed anything featuring a mobile phone yet but this is definitely something I’m scheduling for my next shoot. I like the idea of one of my performers looking down at their phone and seeing or sending a disheartening message.
However as my filming is not yet complete, I may potentially film outside the black box and could use a variety of other props.these might include makeup of some kind, a mirror or perfume. I’m definitely hoping that I can interpret any of these props into my music video in order to make it more interesting and grab the audiences attention.
Here is a document of the floor plan of my shoots which I have constructed. As all of my filming so far has been done in the black box theatre at Haydon School, I chose to do a floor plan of this layout as it accurately represented where most of the filming took place.
Here is my video board accompanying my chosen song; Stone Cold by Demi Lovato. i have chosen a variety of pictures which I think reflect the lyrics of the song as well as the emotion that is felt by the artist and meant to be felt by the audience.
The presentation above details my initial ideas to do with fonts, colours and the overall brand that I’m hoping my advert, digipak and music video will give. I have kept the actual album and the name of the artist the same to keep authenticity. Aditionally to this, in my advert I am planning to have the eyes (all partial face) of all the people involved in shooting but feature a well known name and album (Demi Lovato) so I’m hoping that this will create a storytelling effect and add some meaning to the magazine advert and digipak especially. I’m still experimenting with some fonts as I’m trying to find some that pair together the best – I will posting my progress with this as I go ahead.